FP fans, meet Rachel Eddins, a counselor in Houston, TX!
1) HOW WOULD YOU DESCRIBE THE STYLE OF YOUR THERAPY OFFICE?
Relaxing, warm and inviting. People often say it reminds them of a spa due to use of calming colors, relaxing music and a relaxing scent when you walk in the door. We focused on colors found in nature to instill grounding, balance, and harmony.
Offices are like a comfortable living room – we used rugs and lamp lighting to help it feel more like a living room.
2) WHAT VIBE DO YOU HOPE YOUR OFFICE GIVES YOUR THERAPY CLIENTS?
Ultimately, we want clients to feel calm, relaxed and comfortable. We know that clients often have anxiety about coming to therapy or simply waiting in the waiting room.
Our intention has been to create a space that feels calm and relaxing to help ease the transition to the therapist’s office.
3) DO YOU HAVE ANY CREATURE COMFORTS IN YOUR OFFICE FOR CLIENTS?
Sound machines (everywhere), relaxing music throughout, water, comfortable blankets and pillows that can provide sensory soothing. We also have a make-up station with a mirror and make up removal wipes for those difficult sessions where someone might want a touch-up afterwards.
Since we are in an office building, we also do not use the harsh overhead lighting.
4) WHO DESIGNED AND DECORATED YOUR THERAPY OFFICE? DID YOU GET HELP FROM PROFESSIONALS, COLLEAGUES, FRIENDS, OR FAMILY?
Myself and a colleague who has great style and a similar vision to my own designed the majority of the office spaces. Later in the process I enlisted the help of an online design service havenly.com to help source products and create room layouts.
5) ANY ADVICE FOR THERAPISTS WHO ARE JUST STARTING OUT AND DESIGNING THEIR OFFICE FOR THE FIRST TIME, OR SEASONED THERAPISTS LOOKING TO REDESIGN THEIR OFFICES?
It was helpful to use an online design service, havenly.com to create some design ideas for me with direct links to purchase products they suggested. However, I needed to find a designer who’s style and vision was similar to my own, which took some trial and error.
I also found that wayfair.com had some great deals and offered excellent customer service as well.