FP fans, Dr. Suzan Ahmed, a therapist in Seattle, WA!
1) HOW WOULD YOU DESCRIBE THE STYLE OF YOUR THERAPY OFFICE?
Bohemian, earthy, Mediterranean, eclectic.
2) WHAT VIBE DO YOU HOPE YOUR OFFICE GIVES YOUR THERAPY CLIENTS?
I hope, above all, that my office provides a sense of relaxation, grounding, and safety – a space that supports clients in being their authentic selves.
3) DO YOU HAVE ANY CREATURE COMFORTS IN YOUR OFFICE FOR CLIENTS?
An essential oil diffuser for aromatherapy, and hot water/tea is available. I also have a fuzzy rug and meditation cushions for myself and future plans to integrate more somatic/movement approaches into my work with clients.
4) WHO DESIGNED AND DECORATED YOUR THERAPY OFFICE? DID YOU GET HELP FROM PROFESSIONALS, COLLEAGUES, FRIENDS, OR FAMILY?
Me, myself, and I! As the first office that is truly my own, I’ve greatly enjoyed creating this space organically, bringing in elements of my interests in diverse cultures (e.g. paintings from local Native American artists, symbols from Eastern traditions such as chakras, hand-painted coasters from a recent retreat to Greece, etc.) and nature (e.g. a growing plant collection, wooden furniture).
5) ANY ADVICE FOR THERAPISTS WHO ARE JUST STARTING OUT AND DESIGNING THEIR OFFICE FOR THE FIRST TIME, OR SEASONED THERAPISTS LOOKING TO REDESIGN THEIR OFFICES?
Coming from a therapist who is just starting out myself, I would emphasize the importance of expressing one’s authentic self in creating or redesigning an office space. Make it a space you can come to and breathe in a sigh of relief, or feel a sense of joy or peace.
I find that clients appreciate and benefit greatly from the human-ness of that!
Suzan Ahmed is a Clinical Psychologist (PhD) in Seattle, WA…
Learn more about her work at: