FP fans, meet Rachel Totten, a therapist in Williston, VT!
1) HOW WOULD YOU DESCRIBE THE STYLE OF YOUR THERAPY OFFICE?
I call my office “Modern Vermont Farmhouse.” Some of the pieces of furniture remind my clients of their homes or grandparent’s homes growing up.
The office is clean and bright. It feels like we are sitting in my living room just having a normal discussion.
2) WHAT VIBE DO YOU HOPE YOUR OFFICE GIVES YOUR THERAPY CLIENTS?
Clients describe my office as calm, clean bright, and relaxing. I wanted a space where clients felt a sense of calm and peace. Additionally, I wanted the space to reflect my personality and the high-quality service I offer to the community.
3) DO YOU HAVE ANY CREATURE COMFORTS IN YOUR OFFICE FOR CLIENTS?
I offer coffee, tea, bottled water, and infused water. I have a small dish with sweets.
4) WHO DESIGNED AND DECORATED YOUR THERAPY OFFICE? DID YOU GET HELP FROM PROFESSIONALS, COLLEAGUES, FRIENDS, OR FAMILY?
I created this office space to reflect my personal style and to attract my ideal clients. I enjoy finding, re-purposing and refinishing antique furniture.
For example, a few years ago my mother passed down my great grandmother’s desk. I refinished the desk to fit my style and space. Each piece has a story and most often becomes a conversation starter.
5) ANY ADVICE FOR THERAPISTS WHO ARE JUST STARTING OUT AND DESIGNING THEIR OFFICE FOR THE FIRST TIME, OR SEASONED THERAPISTS LOOKING TO REDESIGN THEIR OFFICES?
Create a space that you love. If you are comfortable and relaxed your clients will feel it.
I found it beneficial to sublease an office space that was already furnished before I took on designing a full-time office space.
I learned that my seating during sessions was important to me, particularly for back support. I was able to decide what colors I preferred and amenities I would like to provide.
And lastly, it all doesn’t have to come together at once. I added and removed pieces as I became comfortable in the space.
Rachel Totten is a Licensed Independent Clinical Social Worker (LICSW) & Licensed Alcohol & Drug Counselor (LADC) in Williston, VT...
Rachel is accepting referrals in the Williston, VT area!
Rachel is accepting new clients in the Williston, VT area!