FP fans, meet Shane Birkel, a therapist in Dover, NH!
1) HOW WOULD YOU DESCRIBE THE STYLE OF YOUR THERAPY OFFICE?
My therapy office is located in an old mill building. It is rustic and has old exposed brick, wood ceilings, and exposed pipes.
It is a small space and I have tried to create a cozy and upbeat feeling by bringing in bright colors, a simple layout, and some personal touches.
2) WHAT VIBE DO YOU HOPE YOUR OFFICE GIVES YOUR THERAPY CLIENTS?
I want the vibe in the office to be relaxed and comfortable, but also bright and uplifting for clients.
3) DO YOU HAVE ANY CREATURE COMFORTS IN YOUR OFFICE FOR CLIENTS?
I have been thinking about having a table with drinks offered, but it is hard to find space in my office.
I always open the door for people, offer to take their coats, and try to be as hospitable as possible. I think making people feel like guests makes a big difference.
4) WHO DESIGNED AND DECORATED YOUR THERAPY OFFICE? DID YOU GET HELP FROM PROFESSIONALS, COLLEAGUES, FRIENDS, OR FAMILY?
I designed everything myself. There is a really cool store nearby that renovates old pieces of furniture and I have obtained most of the items in my office from there.
5) ANY ADVICE FOR THERAPISTS WHO ARE JUST STARTING OUT AND DESIGNING THEIR OFFICE FOR THE FIRST TIME, OR SEASONED THERAPISTS LOOKING TO REDESIGN THEIR OFFICES?
I think it is helpful to start off by keeping it simple. Try to express yourself and your own preferences in the way that you decorate as well. Also, if you don’t have a good eye for design, definitely ask somebody for feedback and advice.
One interesting thing that I did was to order all of my pictures from the National Geographic website and then frame them myself. It was relatively easy and inexpensive.
Shane Birkel is a Licensed Marriage & Family Therapist (LMFT) in Dover, NH…
About an hour from Boston. He works mostly with couples and individuals with relationship issues.
He also started a local therapist networking Facebook group, Therapist Community Connection, that now has 145 members.
To find out more about his practice, contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org or check him out online at: