FP fans, meet Annie Wright, a therapist in Berkeley, CA!
1) HOW WOULD YOU DESCRIBE THE STYLE OF YOUR THERAPY OFFICE?
Friends and clients have described my office as beautiful, cozy, and warm and I couldn’t agree more.
2) WHAT VIBE DO YOU HOPE YOUR OFFICE GIVES YOUR THERAPY CLIENTS?
I hope that my office makes my clients feel safe, comfortable, and nourished when they sit in it.
3) DO YOU HAVE ANY CREATURE COMFORTS IN YOUR OFFICE FOR CLIENTS?
I have a thick woolen blanket and some squishy pillows for cuddling. Plus there’s a lovely view of the Berkeley Hills from the client couch which many appreciate.
4) WHO DESIGNED AND DECORATED YOUR THERAPY OFFICE? DID YOU GET HELP FROM PROFESSIONALS, COLLEAGUES, FRIENDS, OR FAMILY?
I designed the office from scratch with some furniture advice from one of my best friends and then lots of help from my fiancé when it came to building several items of furniture and hanging the prints.
5) ANY ADVICE FOR THERAPISTS WHO ARE JUST STARTING OUT AND DESIGNING THEIR OFFICE FOR THE FIRST TIME, OR SEASONED THERAPISTS LOOKING TO REDESIGN THEIR OFFICES?
Know your style and have a sense of what level of investment you’re willing to make.
This is the first full-time office lease I’ve signed but for the past several years I imagined into what I would want my room to look and feel like.
I know my own personal style and brand quite clearly and wanted my office to be a reflection of that. When the time came to furnish the space, it was just a matter of shopping around until I found the pieces that matched my imagination.
And then, because I had been saving for the past three years to purchase higher-quality investment pieces, I had a significant budget available to purchase really good quality items.
This may not always be possible when you’re first starting out, so think about the level of investment you’re willing (and want) to make, and then start saving for those pieces early.
© Fresh Practice
Annie Wright is a licensed Marriage and Family Therapist (MFT) in Berkeley, CA…
She is in private practice in the Bay area of California.
You can learn more about her and her practice at: