FP fans, meet Megan Meyerhoffer, a therapist in Louisville, KY!
1) HOW WOULD YOU DESCRIBE THE STYLE OF YOUR THERAPY OFFICE?
Warm, inviting with a calm yet healing presence.
2) WHAT VIBE DO YOU HOPE YOUR OFFICE GIVES YOUR THERAPY CLIENTS?
I hope I have created a space that cultivates a sense of confidence, openness and compassion for my clients; and I hope that my clients experience this feeling throughout therapy, their arrival, wait time, and as they leave the office.
3) DO YOU HAVE ANY CREATURE COMFORTS IN YOUR OFFICE FOR CLIENTS?
I have snacks for children and teens, and everyone has access to water. I keep a small bowl filled with a variety of hard candies in the waiting area. I have two essential oil diffusers throughout the space where I utilize lavender oils.
I am currently in search of a comfy, warm and soft blanket to lie on the couch in the therapy session area but haven’t yet found just the right one.
4) WHO DESIGNED AND DECORATED YOUR THERAPY OFFICE? DID YOU GET HELP FROM PROFESSIONALS, COLLEAGUES, FRIENDS, OR FAMILY?
My husband and I designed and decorated the space. I paid a local up and coming calligrapher to design and paint the chalk wall (see picture) in the entry/sitting space.
I have also received input from several friends with similar tastes and talent in design and decor.
5) ANY ADVICE FOR THERAPISTS WHO ARE JUST STARTING OUT AND DESIGNING THEIR OFFICE FOR THE FIRST TIME, OR SEASONED THERAPISTS LOOKING TO REDESIGN THEIR OFFICES?
It took me over one year to create the space how I envisioned it, but I see it as an always changing dynamic aspect of my practice.
As I grow and change professionally, so will the space.
Also, I’m always aware of the changing needs of my clients. I am currently starting to focus my practice towards children, adolescents and families. I will continue to be mindful of how the space is healing and conducive to the people I serve, as well as a reflection of my practice and my professional intentions.
© Fresh Practice
Megan Meyerhoffer is a Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW) in Louisville, KY…
Megan Meyerhoffer is currently working towards completion of the requirements to be a Registered Play Therapist.